CanadianFrog

Project NYstalgia - A retro themed New York City modification.

On 5/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, AwesomeFireman2500 said:

But, it's not to say that the FDNY has not been to different parts of New Jersey, they have been on scene for incidents involving bridges, tunnels, and airports. For example, if a fire occurs on a bridge or in a tunnel connecting New Jersey, the Port Authority of New York and the FDNY are notified to respond to the scene. So, in conclusion we could still technically add FDNY units considering Jersey City is a part of New Jersey.. 

The tunnels are oxygen controlled environment where the O2 levels are monitored so they are breathable but it is impossible for fire to occur. Therefore the FDNY never needs to respond to the tunnels.

For those who don't know I also run a youtube channel, Today I posted a Short video on the history of the streethawk lightbar which was used by housing in the 80s and 90s and then PD in the 90s and 2000s. If you like it subscribe because I can promise you there will be more NYC spec posted on there

• Like 2

TC873pK.png
7usj3zK.png
jdUx3jV.png
DQhKjM7.png

Ever since playing GTA3, I always interested in this kind of helicopter. I didn't think I'd be able to make one but it did get done.

More variations to come in the future.

This asset will also see action in LA.

• Like 9

When will it be released? When it’s done.

When will it be done? When I say so. 

Sounds like another project that will see half ass completion by the team. Montana 2.5, Nostalgia, and this or that project gets released as a beta or full release when even basic functions don't properly function and a year or so later we don't even have a patch to fix the smallest of bugs. There is great talent in this community to date, but to many half @$$ projects these days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

7 hours ago, Xplorer4x4 said:

Sounds like another project that will see half ass completion by the team. Montana 2.5, Nostalgia, and this or that project gets released as a beta or full release when even basic functions don't properly function and a year or so later we don't even have a patch to fix the smallest of bugs. There is great talent in this community to date, but to many half @$$ projects these days. 

Itch and his teams got both Montana and Project Nostalgia to full releases, and are now working on additional versions to add more content such as civil cars and helicopters for Nostalgia. Personally I can live with the minor bugs that exist like the vehicles in Project Nostalgia disappearing in campaign missions when you use a water cannon, when the fix will eventually come with even more content. 

As for this project, CanadianFrog is working on Edgewater, Hill Street Blues, and NYStalgia at the same time. They'll get released when they get released and this is a community that can wait. 

Hell it took almost ten years to release the full version of Miami didn't it, nobody complained when it came out a fully polished product with an original map, functioning surfboards, etc.

• Upvote 3

On 7/17/2024 at 4:18 AM, Xplorer4x4 said:

You know something, dude? I used to really look up to you. Out of the thousands of hours I've invested into this game, I'd reckon at least 15% of that was in your submod. It's been among my favorites since before I could even fathom the idea of making my own mods. As a matter of fact,  the very first version of Hill Street Blues was made as just a little edit of your submod to kill some time during quarantine.  I often return to your submod when I just wanna play the game without thinking about development or anything. 

So, it really hurts me that you have such little faith in our project. I can only home that we can prove you wrong when the mod is done.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

On 7/17/2024 at 11:09 AM, paleocacher said:

Itch and his teams got both Montana and Project Nostalgia to full releases, and are now working on additional versions to add more content such as civil cars and helicopters for Nostalgia. Personally I can live with the minor bugs that exist like the vehicles in Project Nostalgia disappearing in campaign missions when you use a water cannon, when the fix will eventually come with even more content. 

As for this project, CanadianFrog is working on Edgewater, Hill Street Blues, and NYStalgia at the same time. They'll get released when they get released and this is a community that can wait. 

Hell it took almost ten years to release the full version of Miami didn't it, nobody complained when it came out a fully polished product with an original map, functioning surfboards, etc.

"Full releases" that IMO should have had just a touch more stability to them. I will take quality over quantity. 

"a community that can wait" it really can't though! It's pretty much dead compared to 2009-2010.

On 7/19/2024 at 7:43 PM, CanadianFrog said:

You know something, dude? I used to really look up to you. Out of the thousands of hours I've invested into this game, I'd reckon at least 15% of that was in your submod. It's been among my favorites since before I could even fathom the idea of making my own mods. As a matter of fact,  the very first version of Hill Street Blues was made as just a little edit of your submod to kill some time during quarantine.  I often return to your submod when I just wanna play the game without thinking about development or anything. 

So, it really hurts me that you have such little faith in our project. I can only home that we can prove you wrong when the mod is done.

Sorry to disappoint you, and thank you for the kind words that you still enjoy my projects. As newer, far more complex mods came out, I lost complete interest in my own. 

Perhaps a better way to put it would be that I disagree with the development cycle. It's been close to 2 years sine Montana 2.5 came out. I'm not saying the mod was a bug ridden mess, far from it. Almost 2 years later and not a single patch. I'd be happy to have just 1 maybe 2 patches by now. It's not like I didn't post like 5-10 bug reports when it came out. That's not even counting unique bug reports by others. Not 1 single patch! Not a single script fix or XML fix. Nothing in 2 years. New Civilian vehicles are cool but in ~2 years nothing has been (publicly) fixed. New civilian cars aren't whats needed at this time. Fix up SOME of the more basic script errors/minor bugs that can quickly and easily be fixed. Then give us an update ~3/6 months later with SOME new Civ vehicles. Then in another ~3/6 months, give us a few more civ vehicles and maybe a new feature or useful emergency vehicle/apparatus. Not an exact scenario, but you get the idea.

My first submod had like 10 patches released. My second submod went through some private alpha and beta stages between myself and/or other modders. It saw 2 or 3 public betas if memory serves me right.

I was 10 years younger with a lot more free time on my hands. I don't have the time to contribute near as much as I did. I have reached out to certain modders to offer to pitch in here and there in hopes of being able to at least slightly accelerate the development pace, but here I am making this post. 

Models are one thing, but I feel like if the modding community would simply setup git repos for their mods curial files, it would help everyone collaborate better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

On 7/17/2024 at 4:18 AM, Xplorer4x4 said:

Womp Womp

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

This is where I step in and say, if ya'll wanna beef, do it in DM's.

I'll keep these posts for another week or so then hide them to keep shit on topic. I won't lock the thread if everyone can play nice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, mercurygrandmarquis1 said:

Hey all! Lets cut the negativity and get this back on track. This is a WIP on my end but what would NYC be without a yellow cab?

Are you shure there's no signs on the roof?

Found some photos while number .. surfing:

Spoiler

cBwhpqX.jpeg

Q5ZkcLM.jpeg

F3oZOTL.jpeg

734M4kA.jpeg

LERlzYF.jpeg

dkLjkod.jpeg

HVqHkxE.jpeg

05IFPO1.jpeg

VMnMemw.jpeg

lEIRUZw.jpeg

bMMxKqL.jpeg

A2oxlcP.jpeg

tKKbxmk.jpeg

FhBAUMX.jpeg

83lAFvj.jpeg

ZTsTts9.jpeg

uB4heHO.jpeg

IucHa70.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/22/2024 at 11:21 PM, itchboy said:

This is where I step in and say, if ya'll wanna beef, do it in DM's.

I'll keep these posts for another week or so then hide them to keep shit on topic. I won't lock the thread if everyone can play nice.

I can't blame you, but maybe move to a separate topic for further discussion?

• Downvote 4

On 8/17/2024 at 12:15 PM, AgentSmith6 said:

Loving it, are the DOT cars going to be playable in game or just for ambiance?

I want them to be fully playable but that decision will go with the boys, and what they want.

On that topic, we got very lucky recently:XWbEtRE.png
duTqKBU.pngA DOT Bronco II has been confirmed, very lucky find. I'll have to model one of these someday.

0cMcJQE.png
I'm also still working on this mod, but my contributions have been very minimal as of late.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2